The Homburger Hof has a history of more than 200 years.
Around 1785, horse stables were taken over by Johann Philipp Bruder and even then it was presumably been used as a tavern.
a large dance hall opened on the upper floor of the building which enjoyed increasing popularity.
The guesthouse served as a communication center with the “Stammtisch” and also witnessed the political changes of the time around 1848; Lively discussions were held about the changes that were lying ahead; Here, on 30 May 1848, Peter Bruder planted the still existing “Freedom” lime or linden tree as a symbol of a new era.
Peter Bruder filed a petition with the Hessian Provincial Government for a sign-posted inn with a permanent concession and serving drinks and food, which was approved. A great step of economic importance for the Homburger Hof.
the first Carneval meeting in Gonzenheim was held in the Homburger Hof. The choir “Liederkranz” and the Turnverein had chosen the Homburger Hof as a clubhouse.
During the First World War, not only the 1916 prohibition on the production of cider, but also increasing inflation caused problems.
the entire management of the enterprise passed into female hands; Extremely unusual for the times. After the death of the widow of Friedrich Bruder, her daughter Maria Elisabeth, Bettchen, became owner and proprietor of the Homburger Hof on May 15, 1928, to run it with her sister Pauline Rühl and her daughter Berta Rühl.
With the seizure of power by the National Socialists in 1933, the Homburger Hof was also a meeting place for the Gonzenheim Ortsgruppe of the SA, which the ladies Bruder-Rühl regarded as a business affair.
An anecdote states that shortly after the Reichskristallnacht in 1939, a Jewish tailor was threatened by a small group of SA people. He was accompanied from the restaurant to the tram stop by a brave Berta Rühl.
On 8.8.1949 a devastating fire destroyed the building completely;
Nevertheless, the Bruder-Rühl family planned and built a new building on the site of the Homburger Hof. On 21.10.1950, the great opening ceremony was held with a sign “And new life blooms from the ruins”, above the entrance door.
Maria Elisabeth Bruder died in March 1955, Berta Rühl and her mother Paula continued the operation without “Bettchen”.
1963, Berta Rühl sold the Homburger Hof in 1981 to Franziska Backhausen. Despite her advanced age, she continued to support the new tenant couple strongly. Berta Rühl moved to a Bad Homburg nursing home, where she died in 1995.
After a range of owners and years of vacancy, the property of Stefan and Ulrike Winter, owner of the well-known restaurant “Pinocchio Wintergarten” in Ober-Eschbach 2008, was bought, elaborately and gently nourished and reopened in 2009 under the new and old name Homburger Hof with the Pinocchio restaurant.
The Hotel Homburger Hof is being renovated with the redesigned Restaurant Pinocchios Genusswirtschaft. Under the leadership of Stefan & Ulrike Winter & Silke Winter a new meeting place for culinary experiences, celebration and dining has been created.
Source: „Gastwirtschaften in Gonzenheim“ – Heft 10 Geschichtlicher Arbeitskreis Gonzenheim
In 2019 the Botica family takes over the restaurant and the hotel from the Winter family, and continues the traditional history of the Gonzenheimer Haus with love and passion.